Friday, October 24, 2008

TOGETHER

The church is a body... a living, breathing body. It is full of people, people who love God, love the mission, love the purpose and love its people.

The church has a head. The bible says, "...Christ is the head of the church." ( Eph. 5:22) It is good for everyone who attends a church to remind themselves of this one simple fact. Christ is the Head of the church. It is HIS Church.

The Church has leaders that the Bible calls "Elders". They are men. Men who seek God, shepherd the flock, guard the doctrine of the church, work to guide christians through tough times, disputes, and difficulty. They are not perfect men by an stretch. But they are godly.

I will put our 9 Elders up against any group of leaders anywhere. I trust them completely. We do not always agree. Sometimes our conversations are spirited and passionate. But they respect and love me. They love my family. And I respect and love them. and their families.

Last night we had one of "those meetings." One friend who has served on the Eldership would often say, "It was a bag of cheetos" meeting. I did not eat any cheetos, last night but I stayed up late, thinking through the evenings discussions. The more I thought, the more I was encouraged. They made some good decisions. I felt heard... respected... and I felt like we covered some things that needed to get out on the table.

If you are a member of our church, you should know that these men are great leaders who need our prayers. I need your prayers. Our staff needs your prayers. Why? Its pretty simple really. We are in a war with the Spirit of Darkness for the souls of so many who are lost. We are living in a time where people are feeling the crunch of bad economics, debt, loosing jobs and houses. We live in a community where marriages are under attack... even in the church.

What do we have to fight this battle with. Prayer. The Word of God. Good Godly leadership. And our own unity. Life is better together... and our unity is essential as we tackle the issues of our day.

I am proud to say that as I talked with a member today, I saw the love for God come out. It was a difficult conversation, but one comment caught my attention. "I will serve the Lord at this Church... that is what I will do." It was said with humility.. It was said with a commitment to our leaders. And I believe this person, because they are alot like you... is a person who just wants to obey Christ by helping others know, love, serve and share Him." That is who we are.

Blessings

Charlie

No comments: