Friday, October 17, 2008

2nd greatest comeback

Last night the Red Sox got pummeled (through 7 innings). I was disgusted and went to bed. I have followed the Red Sox since the late 60's. I don't exactly know why since I lived in the Pacific Northwest. Through the 70's, 80's and 90's their futility could only be matched by the Cubs. But things got better.

So last night, when I realized that they were on the verge of losing 3 straight at home, and looking bad doing it, I turned my back on them. I walked away. The TV was on, and then I saw the "crawl" at the bottom of the screen. I immediately turned it back to the game, just in time to see the game winning hit. 8 to 7- Red Sox.

I am glad that there will be another game, hopefully two games resulting in Red Sox wins. But, I also have to face the fact that I turned away from them.

There is a lesson in this for all of us. We disappoint God. We lose and lose and lose.... We make mistakes, commit sins over and over... each of which really do hurt the one who created us and who sent His Son to die for us. And yet, God does not turn his back on us. He stays with us, always ready to forgive when we are repentant. He stays with us, always ready to help us pick up the pieces of our broken lives. He stays with us, reminding us that there is a tomorrow, and it will be better. He stays with us, telling us that "the best is yet to come."

I love that about God. Do you? If so, turn over that part of your life that is hindering you from a complete relationship with Him.

2 comments:

Keith said...

We've been going through 1 Samuel. The section where Israel demands a king, Saul becomes king, then God rejects him (sin on Saul's part)...you know the story. I think it's interesting that God tells Samuel: "Fill your horn with oil and go; I will send you to Jesse the Bethlehemite, for I have selected a king for Myself among his sons. (Emphasis mine).

God may be "disappointed/grieved" here, but he doesn't abandon. In fact, He's already got a redemptive plan, i.e. David, the one whom the Messiah comes through. Gotta love a great plan.

PS: Sorry about the Sox. Kinda like being an OSU fan sometimes, eh?

Charlie Curran said...

Your point about God not abandoning Israel is right on. He hasn't abandoned me, or you for that matter either...His desire has never changed... a heart's desire for a relationship with us.

Pretty amazing.

As far as the sox... at least I am not a cubs fan.