Wednesday, June 27, 2007

The Curran Girls take on NYC

This week , I find myself alone at the house. Pam, Elizabeth, Lydia and Abigial are in New York City. Joel is in Maine. It is kind of strange to know that the rest of your family is on the east coast, "enjoying" HOT weather and no rain ( so far), while I am here in what is usually sunny and HOT Oklahoma, contemplating building an ark. ( No, God did not show up to me like Evan in the movie, but afte 18 days out of 22, it feels like we might need something other than gasoline powered vehicles to get around-that may help with the gas budget)

Anyway, each time a child graduates ( from HS) we have allowed them to pick a place to go as a family. We have been to Orlando and Destin, to Panama City and to Corpus Christie. For years Abigail has said, "I want to go to California." But I guess I was a party pooper and said I did not have California on my dad approved lists of places to go. Conversations continued. Would everyone be able to go ? Joel would have a job, the other two girls are married. If they could not go, could Abigail invite friends to go? ( I was not too keen on that.) Imagine this, a 18 year old girl on a vacation with her Dad and Mom. That was going to be okay , but not preferable.

So in January someone came up with the idea of NYC. Pam and I had been there the previous March. What a great time we had. The only negative is that it was 40 degrees and the wind blew like crazy. We were so cold. That was two weeks before the stroke, we were celebrating our 25th anniversary... and having a great time.

So, I said, "Why not.?" Abigial and Pam to NYC... and then it turned into a girls trip. So all the girls are there. They must be having fun, because I have not heard a peep from them since they got to the Hotel. That is great...

What's my point? I don't know exactly, except that for years I have traveled alot and Pam has stayed home, worked and managed getting the kids where they needed to be. I have been on the East Coast, the West Coast, and in between. Sometimes for a few days , sometimes for a week or more. She never complained, never griped about why she didn't get to go anywhere etc. She just did her thing. So I look at this trip as a big thank you to her in addition to a
"way to go" to Abigail.

All of our "girls" are great... and I am sure they are having fun.

And if you are wondering about Joel... well, he is at a sports camp for the third year.. He the veteran counselor, the head of the basketball program and someone they wanted very badly this summer. I have emailed him, but no reply... not surprised, He is having a blast.

And me? Not to bad really. I am not known as an "alone kind of guy,." But this time I am doing pretty good. Reading alot, writing some, and meeting with people.

I am trying to lay low for the next three to four weeks, just trying to refuel and gear up for more great things God has in store for me .

Its all good.

No comments: