Tuesday, June 05, 2007

Assuming Postive intentions

Several years ago, our church staff watched a DVD from Southeast Christian Church. One of the main points the preach of this church with a large staff made was that we have to "assume positive intentions" with each other. The idea is that if we give people the benefit of the doubt, and assume that they did something that affected us adversely, that it was done with no malice or hurtful feelings. At least as a starting point, that helps us maintain our cool, and helps us realize that something just happen. I have not always been the best at this... but I am trying more to take a deep breath and wait for a while before reacting.

This came up today with a particular situation at our church. Apparently someone, not really knowing the rules about email communication within the church, sent out something soliciting business. This person is a relatively new to our church.

Some members of the church got the email and sent notes back asking that they be removed from the email listing that got them this solicitation. That is okay. No problem in my mind. But it seems that is possible that some of the communication was bit testy in nature. Our office got some phone calls and even a couple emails as well, wondering how this could happen.

It caused a bit of a twit for some people. I understand that... I really do. But sometimes our reaction to things like this can cause more harm than we intend. The person who did this was genuinely upset , thinking that they had really messed up.

I called them and talked with them today. I assured them that from my vantage point this was an honest mistake... we don't want people using the membership email to solicit business. But I think thier mistake was done with positive intentions. They had been encouraged by other business associates to do something like as a way to touch their sphere of influence. They believe in their business and its potential to really help people.

Inexperience in the church world kind of caught them here... That is what I think.

The one thing that the Devil likes to do is take innocent little things like this and blow them up, thus derailing someone from their service in the church, and/or giving them reason to think that this is not a place of love and grace. Boy, is he good at that!

I hope that will not happen in this case. This couple serves in several areas. They are fairly new to the church, and one of them is fairly new to the faith. Certainly no one would want a negative reaction to an honest mistake to be the thing that derails them....would they?

I know our church pretty well, and I am assuming postive intentions of those that reacted as well. I know that love is the order of the day.... and that people in general would understand if they had all the information and knew that it was taken care of.

We have a great church, with lots of new people. Sometimes it is a bit messy, but thats okay. Whats most important is that people know that even in our church, mistakes are made every day and we move on. And as I said in my last post, sins are committed every day, and we confess and ask for forgiveness, and God moves on. Psalms says, "As far as the east is from the west, so far have I removed your trangressions from you." Psalm 103:12

Aren't you glad that applies to you? I know I am glad it applies to me.

No comments: