Monday, June 25, 2007

Happy Birthday!

18 months ago, I was informed that the church I serve would be celebrating 100 years of existence in 2007. Sounded like a great opportunity for a party. I mean, who does not love birthday parties?

So I made a decision. I decided we would have a party. Not just any kind of party. But a big 100th party.

The party was this past weekend, and it was a blast. People came from all over the country to celebrate 100 years of ministry. We got letters from Presidents, Govenors, Mayors and College Presidents. We viewed videos of congratulations and appreciation from many people.

But we also worshipped God. After all, it really was His party. What made it so good was the fact that many former ministers, members, and friends came as well. We worshipped God with southern gospel, contemporary worship songs, hymns, preaching, testimony, and alot of hugs and love. It was not a bad way to spend a weekend.

Lots of people worked hard on the weekend. There was a centennial team that planned, prayed and executed the plan and prayers. And it was flawless!

Three people were amazing... Ben Killion and Jim Schnorrenberg were the leaders of the team. 18 months ago, I knew that I could not plan this and lead it. ( that was before the health problems). So I asked them to lead it out. They were so willing. They did exactly what I asked them to do... "put a team together and let's have a party." I could not have been more pleased with thier leadership.

The other person is our Worship Minister, Tim Tibbles. He worked so hard to have an orchestra, 100 voice choir, band, for Sunday morning. And the services were great. Saturday night he and some others put together a Revivial worship service , again involving many different people that shared the talents and gifts.

I think the one of the best things about the weekend was that there was something for everyone. And I can't count how many times people said, "This has been so great."

Why was it great? Because God is great. And God has been great to this church for 100 years. We have had ups and downs, great victories and a few defeats...but consistently God has been there every step of the way.

I said my part of the message that this weekend is just a "comma" , not a "period." ( thanks to Gov. George Nigh and my friend Jerry Whited.). I love that picture because the best is yet to come.

Lots of people are tired, there is alot of clean up to do, but I think everyone would agree that it was a great party.

No comments: