Thursday, June 14, 2007

Funeral Directors, Preachers and death

I am part of a "profession" that deals with death on a fairly regular basis. Just today, I visited with a trio of sisters whose 82 year old mother has suffered a series of strokes and is near death. After 25 years at this, I pretty much know what to do, what to say and what not to say. There are times I get surprised, but not oten.

I have been very blessed because I have not had to deal with death in an intense way, at least personally. All my siblings are alive, my parents are alive as are all of Pam's . I have wondered from time to time what it would be like if one of my close family members died. Who do I turn to? Who helps the preacher get through something like that?

That was brought home this morning by a phone call I got at 7:30 AM. It was one of my closest friends... a guy named Steve. He called to let me know that his mother passed away last night. She had cancer, had been up and down, in and out of the hospital and had struggled for a while with this.

What makes it more interesting to me is that Steve is the best Funeral Director around. He is a close friend. But professionally he is the guy that I would trust completely. When people ask, I say, "Mowery's..." It automatic.

I thought this morning, "Who does the funeral director turn to when his mom dies?" I mean, he deals with this all the time. He is well connected in our community. He is loved and respected by many. So who does he call?

I am sure he called his pastor. But I also know he called me. I don't deserve a medal. I am sure that he called other friends to. But we just have the kind of relationship where we call each other, and lean on each other in tough times. We also have a great time together as well.

And it makes me remember... Preachers and Funeral Directors need friends too. We need people to lean on. We need people that will let us cry when our loved one dies... who will laugh with us when we need that... we need someone we can call.

Steve is that guy for me. I have several others in the church, and one other who lives out of town that I could call. This morning's phone call from Steve made me thankful that I would have several calls to make if one of my parents died. It also made me happy that I am that kind of friend for Him.

We are normal people with normal kinds of needs. We are around death alot, but when it reaches deep into our lives, we need good friends too.

No comments: