Saturday, June 02, 2007

Mistakers or sinners?

THIS IS NOT MY IDEA! But it is good. Andy Stanley talks about the difference between "mistakers" and "sinners" . Think about it... How many times have you done something WRONG and just passed it off as a mistake.

I didn't wear my seat belt- that was a mistake. ( not really- I decided not to wear it and disobey the law.)

I let some information slip to someone that I am pretty sure will pass it along. Big mistake. ( not really- how about gossip as a possibility?)

I harbored some thoughts in my heart. They led to hateful actions toward someone. It was a mistake ( Not really- Out of the overflow of the heart the mouth speaks.) Matthew 12:34

I think we do a big diservice to ourselves when we don't call sin what it is - SIN.

Here is why. ..

We are never told in the Bible that God will forgive mistakes. He forgives sin. ( Psalm 103:3)

We are never told to confess mistakes. We are told to confess sins to each other ( James 5:!6)

We are never told that mistakes will find us out. We are told that sin will find us out. ( Numbers 32 :23)

When I think of the things that I do that are wrong as mistakes and not sins, I am basically saying, "Hey, I am who I am and I don't need forgiveness. I just need to do better."

And we miss out on forgiveness, the blessing of confession ( leading to prayer and accountability ) and we think we are getting away with it. We are not, because God knows the difference between a sin and a mistake. His son did not die for mistakers, but for sinners.

Interesting idea... I guess I am a little ashamed at how often I just blow it and call it a mistake. It suggests to me that I need a dose of biblical reality.

Just something to think about.

1 comment:

Keith said...

Good thoughts...and I really did "think about it."