Sunday, May 28, 2006

A Bittersweet Day

Today was bittersweet. It was "Groundbreaking Day" for First Christian Church. Because of my sabbatical, it was best that I not attend. When I show up at things right now, there is too much attention on me.... so I stay away. Groundbreaking was at 2:30 PM. It was a hot and windy day for the hundreds of people that showed up. But for me, it was a solitary moment. I went out at 10 AM, turned some dirt, walked the footprint of the building and then prayed. I guess it was hard because I remember when the land was given to us. 22 Acres just given to us, free and clear. That was amazing! So some 9 years later, God has seen fit to move, and we are on our way. I wanted to be a part of it so bad... but couldn't. But in spite of that, I am so proud to be a part of this church. There are many reasons, but one that stands out today, is the fact that when there was alot of pressure on us to move forward on the building, our Elders stayed to course seeking God and waiting for Him to open the door. It would have been so easy for them to just build a building. But God was building a church ( without walls). It has been worth the wait!

Tonight, I snuck into church services and listened to my future son in law ( 5 days away) preach.What a treat! He preached a very well crafted message with passion and joy. He shared his heart for the church and its unity. He gave us a glimpse into his soul. And he challenged us to do all that we can to maintain unity through the Spirit. I sat there and thought to myself, "Boy, he is way farther along than I was at that point in my life." He really preached well. He will do so well in the Ministry. And he is pretty blessed to have a wonderful girl at his side.( They say its not bragging when its fact). Lydia is top notch, all the way. Lydia will be awesome in whatever she does along side of him.

By the way, James also gave me a couple pieces of information that will come in handy at the wedding! Should be fun.

So a bittersweet day for sure. But honestly, this was a day that I wanted to pass... the disappointment of not being at the North Garnett sight was kind of looming large in my heart. God got me through it... And then he ended my day with a great encouragement.

No comments: