Thursday, May 04, 2006

Shepherds

Psalm 23 says, "The Lord is my shepherd.." Jesus is a great shepherd...if we will let him be that to us.

He also gives us other shepherds... In our church tradition they are call Elders.

"Be shepherds of God's flock, that is under your care, severing as overseeers, not because you must, but because you are willing, as God wants you to be...." ( I Peter 5:2)

I serve with an awesome group of Shepherds. We have shared many moments together. Moments that were exhiliarating.. and moments that were difficult. They do not make decisions on the fly, but have always been more willing to wait and seek the wisdom of the Spirit through prayer.

For the 11 years I have served First Christian Church, I have always felt that the Elders were my shepherds too. I have never felt like I was a slave to them. They have always been genuinely concerned about me and my family. This has been true through both the ups and downs of ministry.

Last night Pam and I met with the Elders and discussed my health and immediate future. Because of the uncertain nature regarding the length of my recovery, they offered me a Sabbatical. I can honestly say that at first, I was against the idea. I want to be back full strength, preaching and leading. Sitting on the sidelines for 4 months seems impossible to me, but I am learning that Good Shepherds think in the long term... and mine are doing that.

I think this time will be good, if I totally disengage, and allow God to work in me. That is the trick... But, I am willing... I know I won't do everything right, but I am determined to redeem the time in a positive manner.

This is possible because of true shepherds who have loved me. It is possible because of a staff that is capable and dedicated. And it is possible because I have people, including my family who will stand behind me...

I think I have much to enjoy and learn in this time. Thanks to each of the shepherds of my life who care enough to give me the time...

No comments: