Saturday, January 24, 2009

Elkins Elks continue to win...

 Last night we watched the Elkins Elks win their game against rival Greenland.  Nathaniel Smith is the coach.  He happens to be my son-in-law. ( I have two phenomenal son-in-laws.). 

I watched the Elks last year.  They were decent, but overmatched most of the time. I only saw a couple games, but it was not pretty.   This year, they have a personality. It is the personality of their coach.  Work hard...take good shots, effort, and consistency. They have learned to win. That goes along way.

They got behind last night...but there was no panic on the players faces... and none from the coach.  It was like, "Do what you do best, and we will be fine."  They were... they won by 12 or so.  That makes them 5-0 in conference.

I told Nathaniel after the game, "Now that you have won that game, the real coaching begins." It is one thing to learn how to win when you are losing.  It is another thing to learn to continue to win when you are winning.   He is up to it.  I like their team alot. They have a nice blend of shooting, inside game.  They defend.  They are not big, but they scrap and play hard. 

On another note...last week I went to Portland. Spent the afternoon with Joel.  It is interesting.  He is a guy who moved across the country with a company from Tulsa. They laid 1/3 of the company off six week later. I would be mad....really mad.  ( I was to be honest with you.)

But not Joel. He is figuring out how to live on alot less...looking for work, doing things to earn money, keeping his apartment, building new friends, working out, and trying to do somethings while he can. He does not have alot of financial commitments, so he just keeps on doing what he does. 

It was good for me to see him. He is fine. I admire what he is doing, because he has not let adversity derail him. That is a good life quality to have.

God is providing for him.

God is providing for my dad.  Although the surgery did not go well, he has a good attitude.  Mom and Dad keep plugging away.

Well, its just Pam and I at home.  Guess what... We are watching figure skating. ( I know girls, you are wondering "where that was when you were at home".)  

Go figure.....Dad watching Figure skating...Hmmmmmm.....




No comments: