Sunday, January 04, 2009

"A bit terrified..."

Today, we ( FCC) began a year long quest to go "DEEPER" with God. It come from Luke 5 where Jesus told Peter to "Put out into deep water and let your nets down for a catch."

"Going deeper" can be pretty subjective for most people. For our purposes today we concentrated on "going deeper in the Word, "  and "going deep in our mission as a church." I believe that if we do those two things, all the measurements, goals etc that a new year brings will take care itself.

I was reading a blog by a preacher in Ohio...one I read regularly. He made a statement that got my attention.  Here it is...

"I am excited, and a bit terrified to deepen my walk with God." 

That is a very honest statement...one I can identify with.   I relate to it because I know, at least in part, that growth comes from perseverance through hard times.  Is that a prayer that I want to pray? Hmnnnn.... I do want to grow deeper...

Maybe my problem is that I want to "grow deeper" on my own terms...If that is my priority, my life is not totally surrendered.

Do you want to grow "deeper?"  If so, is there anything that terrifies you about deepening your relationship with God? 

IF YOU ARE INTERESTED: Study guides for the previous weeks sermons are online at www.fccowasso.com.  Could be a good too for you to "go deeper."

No comments: