Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Sold!

The problem with a "blogcation" is that it is really hard to get back into the flow of writing regularly. I have read that the whole phenomenon of "blogging" has peaked. I don't know if that is true, but I do know it takes time and discipline to write regularly. Certainly gives me more respect for authors who write alot. Guys like Chuck Swindoll and Max Lucado have churned out books at an amazing rate. It takes alot of brain power to do that- not to mention spiritual depth.

Soooooo.... what's been going on with Charlie? I find myself on the cusp of October, one of my favorite months. I knew that fall is almost here when I stepped out of the house this morning to walk. It was 49 degrees! Crisp, cool, no breeze... it was perfect.

I have been taking some extra time off lately... trying to take advantage of the great weather (playing some golf, doing yard work etc.) and to recharge for the stretch run in 2008. October will bring about the conclusion of 40 Days of Community. It has been a great success, and promises to be the structure with which we disciple people in the future. Matt and his teams have done a great job. It is a huge undertaking to organize, promote, and track several hundred additional people in small groups and classes. Matt preached the last two sundays. We did the "Cardboard Testimonies " this past Sunday. It was a very powerful example of how God is working in so many lives.

Today, we signed the papers on the sale of our property to Rejoice. i was reflecting about this on the way home and celebrating God's faithfulness. I recall many times when I would walk through the 86th property praying that God would bring someone to buy the entire thing. We tried to keep it. We tried to sell it. We tried to keep again. It was up and down. It was on the market for a long time. One well known realtor told us that there was no way we would sell it, and if we did someone would just bulldoze it to the ground. The building in his estimation was worth nothing. I recall being kind of discouraged, but believing that if God wanted it sold, he would find the buyer at the right time, with the right price and it would happen.

Well it did. Rejoice Church has a great Christian School and they bought it for the Middle School and Senior High School. They have been leasing it back from us for about 16 months. It has been a great relationship. I have been so impressed with their heart. They have worked with us in so many ways.

I have also been so impressed with "our" people. They have been so flexible. They have seen the big picture. Many were inconvenienced by the sale. It was an emotional decision because so many had been baptized there. So many have been married there. So many people have had funerals for their loved ones there. The gospel message has been preached there. VBS grew and impacted so many there. Our Little Saints Preschool began there and flourished there for over 25 years. Young people have been ordained to the ministry there.

As God led us to North Garnett, there were emotional moments. I know it was hard for many. I know that there were tears and struggles for many. But ultimately those great people proved what we knew was true all along. They followed God's leading. It is awesome to see your church family do that in such a personal way.

Today, we were able to sign the papers and take the money to the bank and turn the page on a new chapter for the church. Its a new day. Lots of new people, new ideas, and a new hope for so many people. More than the money, more than the building, the space, the new toys and technology... people did it because they knew that God was in it, and He wanted to touch many new people.

4 years ago we said, "We did not want to focus on building a building, but building Christ in the lives of people." I look around now and I see small groups everywhere. I hear of many men's and women's bible studies. I see friends and church family helping others through really tough times. I see faithfulness every where.

Someone told me recently...." It just doesn't feel like my church anymore." I know that feeling. But it is not "our" church. It never was. It is Christ's Church. And it always will be.

But with all the new comes someone who does not change. Jesus Christ is the same yesterday, today and tomorrow. "Jesus is the way , the truth and the life... No one comes to the Father except through him." John 14:6 Thanks to God for that.

No comments: