Monday, September 15, 2008

Grow up Charlie

Some thoughts rolling around in my head...

* On Wednesday of each week, I start paying attention to the weather for Sunday. Last week, it was apparent that our entire weekend would be windy and wet...all because of Ike. This creates issues for me...( maybe it is just me)

Issue#1- Bad weather on Sunday, usually means lower attendance. Tropical Storm force wind and rain has real potential to "dampen" the worshp services. ( pun intended)

Issue #2- Our new building has leaks. Some are pretty major, some are not. So once again, Tropical Storm force winds and rain present potential issues.

Issue #3- We do not have a covered canopy. So, you figured it out, Tropical Storm Force winds and rain present some uncomfortable issues for our Senior Adults, and families, who have to make a run for it.

I could go on... and then I am reminded that there are 4 million people with no electricity, thousands of people in shelters ( probably for weeks), and some families who are grieving the loss of loved ones... all of that in Texas.

My issues do not seem so bad. I am a baby in some respects.... as a friend says to me, "WHAAAAAAAA...."

Sunday, I got up, and the clouds were gone. The wind was lighter than expected, The sun shined. The water did not flood the worship center. And the SON shined at Church too. It was a great day. Our groups are off and running. The congregation was responsive in all phases of our worship time. There were stories of impact being passed around .

And I was worried about some dude named, "IKE"

Later in the afternoon, I got the call that the brother of a very close friend had been killed in a Motorcycle accident. The two brothers and a friend were out on a leisurely ride ( It was a beautiful afternoon), when a car , going way too fast, lost control and slide into the path of Mark's brother Rick.

I was heart sick for Mark. And for Rick's sons. Their mother had died in the last year of cancer. So they have had alot. I spent the evening with them. Lots of questions...the only answers come from our FAITH in Christ. We just believe that it all will shake out. We believe that this Christian man is in heaven, reunited with his wife and other family, and certainly most of us, in the presence of Christ.

And I was worried about some dude named, "Ike" .

I need some re-direction by the Holy Spirit about what is really important. Weather forecasts are not. God is in control where Hurricanes go. In stead of me being worried about a disruption in my plans for Worship on a particular Sunday, I should pray for those who truly find themselves disrupted. And in some way , try to figure out a way to give in a tangible way to help people who have little right now.

I have alot of spiritual growing to do.

3 comments:

Steve said...

Charlie - If you ever figure this stuff out, TELL ME!!! But let me "spin" a few of your things for you ...

(1) Lower attendance means you can get "closer" with those in attendance, making the church more personal and less large!

(2) Finding the leaks now will allow you to worry about more important things later, when the building structure can generally be on autopilot! Also, most homes have a warranty that is better in the first year or two ... maybe the church building is the same way .. fix these things now while insurance is good!

(3) Umm ... Uhh ... covered entry ways are nice. ;o)

My Dear Gs... said...

I don't really think it's totally wrong of you to think of the weather pre-Sunday. You are very concerned about the FCC congregation getting to church because you know how important it can be to their spiritual health. And you know it's frustrating for them to get to church when the weather is bad. So really, you're just looking out for them! :-)

myassistantcoach said...

Missed you this past Sunday!