Tuesday, July 01, 2008

Hmmmmmmnnnnnn.....

Some things about this-n-that...

This summer our church has been reading a chapter a day of the book of Proverbs. For the last 5 weeks we have looked at different topics, such as words, anger, and wisdom. The response from the church has been extremely positive. I know these messages hit me where I am at right now... and it seems like the same can be said of many who attend the church. Today, we began our second round through the book. I think this is a great exercise...a chapter a day is a good start toward a life long habit. So, this month the topics from Proverbs are ......(drum roll please)..... Money, Generosity, Laziness and Lust. Quite a line up huh? We are taking this journey through Proverbs till the end of August.

This weekend is a holiday weekend.. 4th of July. AAA says people are staying home more, not going on the long trips because of Gas prices. So I was wondering... does that improve church attendance in the summer? Hard to say I suppose. Our attendance is up, but that may be more due to our "spurt" this spring. We are maintaining our constant flow of visitors each week, which is encouraging.

I just finished another article for a Christian magazine. I enjoy writing. Its the editing that wears me out. I have lots of help. Jeanna Harris, Helen and Jerry Whited and Pam have taken a look at it. It's a challenge to write, re-write, submit to friends, then re-write again....but when you feel good about it and put it in the envelope, there is good sense of accomplishment. I think writing a whole book would be amazing.I have an idea for a book, and a couple chapters along with an introduction written. But there is no telling how long that will take.

Adding to my list of new experiences... I had an interesting experience in the hospital a few weeks ago...It was a funny deal, and after getting permission from the person involved, I submitted it to "All in a Day's Work" in Reader's Digest. I did it on-line, and then got this note back. It said, "Thanks for your submission. We will let you know if we decide to use it." Not exactly personal, but it fullfilled my need to know if they really got it or if it was floating around there in cyber-space somewhere. Want to know what it was.... Well, you will have to wait to see if they use it. I don't want to spoil the surprise.

Speaking of long holiday weekend, Grace makes her road trip debut this weekend with a jaunt to Owasso. I can't wait to see her (and Nathaniel and Lizzie). I haven't seen her since she was born! So she is nearly 3 weeks old now... Should be a fun weekend for all of us.

Hope to pick up a couple pictures of Grace, which I will post next week.

No comments: