Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Interesting question...

I had a friend ask me if I would ever follow the lead of a church out east which had a series entitled, "Our Rotten Sex Life...." The question got me to thinking and doing a little dashing around the internet.

Some observations....

One, several churches have done this. There efforts have garnered some churches nationwide media attention, some have apparently not. Not all of it has been positive. ( but is that what we are looking for?)

Two, my opinion is that it is a good thing to talk about what the Bible talks about. ( Sex is in the Bible, its a gift from God. Its a good thing when done in the right place, with the right person, and with righ motives.)

Three, Squash is still squash to me. My parents love squash. I have never liked it and avoid it at almost all cost. You can cook it, bake, it, bar-be-que it. You can fry it, drown it in butter, or brown sugar... I will not eat it. ( Please, no attempts to change my mind here... It is what it is to me.)

In this case, I am not interested in judging motives... Some will say that such a "marketing" effort is wrong, innappropriate and insensitive. Others will say, " Go for it, More power to you, way to be on the cutting edge."

I figure that if I am going to make a decision about what is good in this case, I ought to at least listen to the messages.

No matter what the outside looks like to me, I am interested in content... Sometimes our efforts can cloud the content. We need to be careful.

Four, In our attempts to be relevant, we all need to be careful that we do not take away from the real message. I did not say, "Do not be relevant." It just seems to me like some discretion is a good thing here.

What may work on the coasts, may not work here. God himself will judge the fruit of such efforts. I am thankful that God is able to use all efforts to share his Word to change people. That is what makes it fun to be in Owasso. There are lots of churches, doing great things, with many different approaches. I am glad that not all churches are not like the one I help lead... Many preachers and churches preach the Word. They just come at it a little different than me.

My calling is to preach the Word in the location I live in. Some like the effort, some don't don't. Some like the packaging, some don't. But my goal is that when people finish listening they will know more of the Word, and the Word will change them. ( Content and application)

I will leave the judging to Him.

So to answer his question... "Probably not..." It's not me.

1 comment:

Steve said...

Charlie ~ It's good to read your comments! My family is doing well in Mustang, OK. We are getting plugged into a good church, and I'm leading a small group of 6th grade boys - YIKES! I appreciate very much the growth I had during my years at FCC-Owasso. Steve