Sunday, October 14, 2007

A different kind of Sunday

Today, I took a Sunday off. Part of the plan for my return from the stroke was that I would limit the long run of preaching which I had been doing in the past.Six to 8 weeks in a row seems to be the limit right now. So, this was a day when I sat back and became a congregational member.

I went to two churches. I attended a downtown Tulsa Church at 8:30. It is always nice to viist, see how some people do things differently. The preacher is one of my favorites... he makes me think and challenges my way of preaching in some very real ways. His messages fill my soul. I am convinced that regular exposure to good preaching is vital to good preaching on my part. And there is something about hearing it in person in the context of the church, not just on the tapes or CD's .

Then I came back to FCC. I sat in the back with Pam and Joel, which was intersting. Some observations....

One, We have some sound problems. I can see how people don't want to sing, because it really does feel like you are the only one singing. So people don;t sing.

Two, people don't know exactly what to do with me when I show up and I am not preaching. Some were making assumptions that I was not well, which was not the case. Others thought that maybe I have had a set back on the health front. That is not the case. Still others took the opportunity to "talk business."

Its pretty hard to be a regular member when you are the preacher. But I also appreciate their concern and confidence. One thing I do have is a small group who allow me to be me, not the preacher.... what a blessing.

Three, Matt Thomason is good preacher... I like his heart.

It was a good day... different for sure,but good.

No comments: