Friday, October 19, 2007

"Face Down"

Many of you know that my Dad has had a real struggle with his eyes. Macular Degeneration is a difficult disease to contain, and his journey with this has been up and down.

At some points in the past year, the news has been good... stabilization and improvement. But other times, it has not been so good. Last week, his left eye completely went blind.

This week he had a procedure done which brings about the possibility of some restoration. It involved putting a gas bubble into his eye, which might push some of the blood clots aside, enabling his eyesight to improve.

What makes this particularly difficult is that as a part of the recovery he is supposed to spend 23 out of the 24 hours a day "face down." Think about that for a second. To give this bubble its greatest chance, he has to spend almost every waking moment and every sleeping moment on his face.

I really can't imagine that. My Mom and Dad are trying to take advantage of some technology that will enable him to sleep, sit, and even watch some TV ( although that is limited because of the lack of eyesight), but this still has to be a very difficult situation.

I was praying for them this morning and couple thoughts came to mind...

* This is what growing older is about. Body parts wear out. Things don't work as well as they used to... and sometimes there is nothing you can do about it. You can't stop it, stall it , or suppress it... It just happens.

* This is why we all have to live as though this life is not all there is. My parents are Christians. They love God, and they love their church. Their faith is in Christ... and although they both have had fairly long lives and lots of blessings, they totally understand that "this is not all there is." Heaven awaits, and in heaven there will be no more tears, sorrow, or death. (and there will be no eyesight maladies....) Whatever Dad is not able to gain back here, he will have in full living color in heaven.

* Sometimes you try things that are really difficult to handle. I thought.."Three weeks face down..." Could I do that? I love my Dad and Mom's attitude. It is going to be hard... really hard, but you do what you have to do. If this gives him some eyesight back, it is worth it.

* Last, I realized that my parents are teaching me some of life's greatest lessons in the late years of their lives. The lessons about resilence, faith, perseverance, and doing the right thing are life lessons that I need reminders on. These lessons that they are living out are treasures to me.

2007 has not been an easy year for them. You could make the case that it has been one of the toughest... but they keep plugging away. They have not given up. They look to God for strength and peace. And they are quick to run to each other's aid, no matter the cost.

I would ask you to pray for mom and dad. They really need those prayers right now.

No comments: