Thursday, December 07, 2006

Deviled Eggs, Vision and Caring

This past Sunday, I made a significant point. ( Really Jesus did- Acts 20) "It is more blessed to give than to receive."

I am sure that coming on the heels of a Stewardship series, many people thought, " He just won't give up." But I didn't really say anything about money. I challenged our congregation to reach out to people, and to give tangible expressions of love to others. I am not sure that money is the best "tangible expression." I know that when the bills pile up, and you have alot more month left at the end of your check, you think, "I would take money this Christmas." Believe me, I have been there.

But then you miss the blessings of other gifts. In the past couple weeks I have gotten some pretty amazing gifts.

For starters, there was a note on my desk one day, saying there was a gift in the refrigerator (at the church) for me. So I wandered down there to see what it might be. I had visions of cookies, chocolate clusters, a piece of pie...stuff like that. When I got down there, and looked into the tin, I found that it was "deviled eggs." ( like 20 of them.) That may not be significant to you, but it was to me. The lady who made them for me, knew that I love deviled eggs. It was a gift... and I have been eating on them for several days ( one or two at a time, although I could have finished them off in a day if I had wanted to.) That was an unexpected gift... a personal gift... and a tasty gift.

I got a couple more gifts today. One was in the form of Vision. I visited with the new director of the Pregnancy Resource Center in Owasso. She shared with me her vision for a center that would continue to make a difference in the lives of young girls who found themselves to be pregnant. But her vision goes beyond just the unborn and their mothers. She celebrates all life and to that end we talked about caring about the elderly and others that seem so easily discarded in our society. She expressed her inadequacy for the job that lay ahead of her... and I thought, "Boy I know that feeling... and it is just where God wants us." I have great confidence that she and God will make a great team. I love her humilty, and her desire.

The other gift was a caring conversation with a friend. This individual and I had not talked alot since my stroke. We are alot alike and that at times had led to some "head-butting" , but always with respect.

Today , the conversation was so good because this person was shepherding me. Caring about me. Interested in how I was doing. There were ideas shared about potential changes in church activities but there also were laughs, and some honest reflection of how things are for me since I have come back.

I felt cared for. Many people care for me. I am so blessed.

So there you have it three gifts... Deviled Eggs, Vision and Caring. Maybe not what most people would look for under the tree, but all in all, not a bad day.

I know that it says, "It is more blessed to give than to receive." But somedays, it is really cool to receive too.

Thanks to all three of you....

Charlie

No comments: