Tuesday, December 26, 2006

THE DAY AFTER CHRISTMAS

It is Dec. 26th! I am done with workout #1, starting to work on sermons for the new year, and in general trying to recover from the Christmas Celebration at church and Home.

Sunday ( Christmas Eve) was a heavy work load day for me. I preached twice in the morning and then did the devotional in the evening Christmas Eve Service. I was pretty tired, and really still am two days later.

I was very pleased with our attendance on Sunday. We did not know what to expect. First Service was full ( about 400 total) and Second Service approached 500 people. Then in the evening, I suspect there were well over 600 people. It was standing room only!

We did not do a candlelight service this year. Instead we used these little flashlights... the reaction was very mixed. Some didn't work well, others were hard to get on... and in general people like the candlelight more than the lights. Traditionalists feel that it was lacking.. But we have had such a bad time with wax on chairs and floors... and with the new facility next year, we felt it was a good time to make the change. We will evaluate this more over the year to see what to do next year. I wonder what other churches with nice worship facilities do with this?

We only did one service, because we had two services and SS in the morning. I felt that it was just too much to ask some of our music people to be in the building from 7- 12:30 and then from 4-8 on Christmas Eve.

It worked out great, people were understanding and the services were high quality. I have great respect for all our musicians and vocalists who give and give each week. Tim does a good job of pulling it all together and leading them.

Christmas day was a bit strange. For the first time, one of our kids was not here. Joel is with the OSU football team in Shreveport. We sure missed him, and after the phone call we had last night, I think he missed us too. Lydia and James went to his family's place around noon, and Liz and Nathaniel went home at 2 or so. So it was Abigial, Pam and I. What should we do. I took at 5 mile walk, which felt great, except for the 25 mph wind from the north. Then we decided to go to a movie. We went to the Pursuit of Happyness. Abigial had the best assessment of the movie. She said, "Alot of depression for two minutes of happyness." None of us really liked it... it was a sad story until the end. So if you are going to it, make sure you are in the mood.

We decided not to go to Nebraska... and just stay home this week. I think it is a really good thing for Pam, and it is for me to. So we are on our own schedule for a few days, doing different things and in general not having to do much in terms of meeting schedules or obligations. Should be nice.

THE BIG NEWS! Last night my Fantasy Football Team defeated Aaron Rathbone's team for the Fantasy Football league championship! Not bad for a rookie. I am so lucky. But it was a fun experience. I learned alot during the season... and next year I will be better. I owe Marc Bulger ( St. Louis Rams) and Ladanian Tomlinson (San Diego Chargers) alot... they carried me.

More reflections on the last year are coming later in the week.

Blessings

Charlie

No comments: