Friday, November 17, 2006

Thanksgiving and sharing

Today officially begins the "Holiday travel" season. Fox News said that this "travel season" lasts twelve days. This is not the time to be flying in America, or so they say. Does it ever occur to you that we lengthen out our holdiays more and more each year? It is like from the 2nd week in October through the 2nd week in January we are in "holiday"mode. Now, that is great fun for the most part, except when all you want to is to go to Walmart and get some shaving cream, and you have to wade through the bizzilion Holiday displays... in OCTOBER! Oh, sorry, I guess Walmart has decided this year to call them, "Christmas displays."

Holidays are great fun, but for Pam and I they are changing. Now we have two kids married and we have to share. I was always told it is nice to share, and I told my kids the same thing. But honestly, I don't think it should apply to kids and holidays. Nathaniel's family is a great group. I like them alot, but I wish we could have Liz and Nathaniel ALL day, every day of thanksgiving. But we have to share. ( I am sure his parents probably feel the same way) Lizzie and Nathaniel do all they can to make everyone happy and for that I am glad. Even with hours and hours of driving, they still will make it here.

Lydia and James will be here too... I am not sure what the schedule is, but they will drive down from Joplin... I imagine they will spend time with us, and with Jame's family ( They live 10 miles north of us). They are fine people... But I am selfish. I want them here ALL day and everyday...

Joel? Well, there is no girl to share with yet...yippee. It is the Oklahoma State Football Team. Bedlam is the Saturday after Thanksgiving. There are great preparations for the home game... A really big game.... So I don't think he will be home. What is more important... OU vs. OSU or me being happy. I guess I have to share.

I thought about us going over there... but then Lizzie and Nathaniel and James and Lydia would be here, and the point is for all of us to be together.

Abigail will be home... YEAH! But it occurs to me that this too will soon end. She is a senior in High School, and someday, she will let us know that we have to share her too.

All we will have left is each other.... And honestly, that used to sound sooooo good ( with four kids afoot running through the house, making noise, and me saying,"hey... I can't hear the game!") Ah thanksgiving... what a fun time. Turkey, football, naps.... together.

All we will have left is each other, and 4 kids and their families coming and going, and me refining my ability to share.

A lesson that I need to learn, but not one I signed up for.

Happy Thanksigivng.

No comments: