Wednesday, September 20, 2006

This is too much....

For the most part, I don't want to use the blog as a "rant." That gets tiresome, and is not good for me. But there is something I have to get off my chest.

I watched the OU-Oregon game with alot of interest. Being from Oregon I had been excited about this game for a year. But I rooted for OU. Why? Well, I live here. We have three teams in Oklahoma. OU, OSU and TU. I root for all of them... even when they play Oregon. I like the Oregon team. I like their uniforms. I like the stadium. I like them every week, and root for them every week, except when they play OU. Then it is about 55-45 proposition.

So to Saturday's game. Everyone saw it for what it was. There were mistakes made. Big mistakes. BUT NOT FATAL MISTAKES. Not mistakes that will change the course of world history. These were mistakes that altered the outcome of A GAME.

I was frustrated and disappointed on Saturday. I let it go on for half a day or so. But Sunday was a new day. Sure coaches would be asked about it, and they have to respond. They need to stand up for their team. They need to point out the mistakes. They need to say that everyone is accountable. That includes the 19 year old that blew the coverage at the end of the game on Oregon's last touchdown. That includes coaches who made curious calls during the game. And that should include officials.

But maybe, on the Wednesday following the Saturday game, there needs to be another group of people held accountable. The OU fans.

Don't you think that our priorities are a little out of whack? The paper reports that the replay official is getting death threats. There has been constant whinning about the result, to the point that it makes me sick. It makes be just a bit ashamed of where I live. IT IS JUST A GAME PEOPLE....

One player was asked, "How do you feel?" He said, " I feel like we were robbed." ROBBED? Because someone made a mistake in a replay booth at a FOOTBALL GAME?

ROBBED... Hmmmn... I can understand a mother of a 21 year old soldier who was killed by a IED in Iraq saying, "We were robbed." That computes with me. I can see someone saying that Corporate corruption "robbed" them of their lifelong savings and retirement. That is "being robbed." I can understand the parents of a teenager who was killed in a car acccident by a reckless driver saying, "We were robbed."

I think it is high time that all athletes and people in general understand that little in this life is fair. ( Ask Jesus about that one.) There are always going to be instances where a mistake is made and at some point someone has to say, "Get over it and move on." That is where character is built. That is where perseverance is cultivated. That is where lessons learned become the springboard for victories in the future.

In this case, Bob Stoops has said all he is going to say. Hopefully the AD and the University President ( Doesn't he have more important thingst to tend to than this?) will do the same.

Who knows....maybe both teams will win out... Oregon will be 1 and OU will be 2. And then their will be a rematch in the BCS national championship game. I might suggest that we leave TV out of it.... maybe play the game like to good old days, where you had to listen to it on the radio, or read about it in the paper. Then it may be possible that all this wonderful technology we have will be left on the sidelines and the game will be left on the field, where it ought to be.

By the way...all this has really hurt BOTH teams. Oregon and OU played a fun and entertaining game. They fought thier hearts out. But the only thing anyone remembers is a blown call. Too bad. They ALL deserve better.

I am done ranting...

1 comment:

Keith said...

So does this mean that Steve doesn't have to wear the shirt?
8^)>