Wednesday, September 27, 2006

Just me thinking....

I have been thinking.... Are we too busy? In the church, I mean. Lots of discussion and thoughts have contributed to an ongoing discussion. Some of it comes from reading two very good books. One is "7 practice of Effective ministry" by Andy Stanley ( and his team). The other is an excellent book by Eric Geiger and Thom Rainier entitled " The Simple Church."

SOME QUESTIONS????

What is our process for making disciples? Do we even have a "process?" Is it easily identified by those who want to sign on? How does someone know from the beginning? Or is church life so complicated that people just have no idea?

What are the two or three most important things we do? Who prioritizes activities, programs, special events? Who says "no?" Who says "yes".

Do we scare people off by demanding that they give us three hours on Sunday morning, one on Sunday night, two hours for Choir, 2 hours for Music Rehearsal, 1 and 1/2 hours on Wednesday for classes, and a Men's or women's Bible Study on Tuesday, with a service project here and there, and a few extra events along the way?

Could it be that we scare some people away because they just see no way? Some may say, "They need to prioritize, get rid of all the other extra stuff, so they can engage in the church." Sounds so 21st Century! Not First Century. Those people still engaged in the culture and spent time being salt and light, instead of just gathering on the Holy Hill with others of like mind and heart.

Seems like we need some balance here.

With all the other things that fill our lives, do we consider doing less, for more impact? Baseball comes to my mind. 162 games a year. For the dyed in the wool fan, I suppose it is a good thing. But really, who pays attention until this time of the year ( the last week of the season- Yeah Wild card races) and the playoffs? Most people don't, except when the go to a game.

Football on the other hand has 16 professional games and 4 preseason games, which they are trying to shorten to two. Then you have the playoffs. But in pro football, stadiums are pretty much full every week. Why? Maybe because they only play one time a week for 4 months. Less exposure producing more impact.

I wonder about the same for the church. Mike Cope mentioned in his blog ( www. preachermike. com) that his family was a Wednesday night family ( meaning they were always at church then). Boy did he get some responses... some of which centered on households who have both spouses working, getting home at 6-6:30 PM , kids having 2-3 hours of homework, and so on.

It is true that most people, even in the church live somewhere between overcommittment and exhaustion. ( Not just staff, or leaders either, but most everyone)

It's just me thinking out loud.... Could it be that we ( the general church) do less, and make more impact?

I know the struggles with this. We have equated busyness with spirituality. We have said, "If I do more, then I must be more pleasing to God." I live with that one alot in my own mind.

So, we add services, special programs, events, more groups, and more classes, retreats and conferences. And we ( mostly preachers I am sad to say) get frustrated when fewer and fewer people come, especially to the extra stuff.

It is just me thinking through my fingers... I have no real solutions at this point. But I am thinking. And some people around me are as well.

What got me to thinking? Well, today was a bad day for me... I felt tired and weary all day. I needed rest, so I stayed home tonight. I did not feel good about it.....at first. As the night has wore on, I felt a bit better.... but still guilty. Maybe a bit more rested, but uneasy. I should be in ......you know.

So If I miss, does that mean I less of a disciple? Does it mean a black mark on my record? Does it mean one less jewel in my crown? Or does it just mean I needed some rest tonight?

Remember, it is just me thinking and writing. I may feel different tomorrow...but maybe not.

In the meantime, if the goal is busyness , then we are right on... let's fill the calendar! But if the goal is making disciples who know, love, serve and share Christ, maybe we need to look at some things along the way.

It's just me thinking....

1 comment:

Keith said...

Keep thinking...I think you're on to something.