Friday, September 01, 2006

The Simple Things...

I get so wrapped up in big things. Big dreams, big hopes, big plans... God has a way of reminding me that the simple things are often the things that mean the most. For instance...

Last night Pam and I went to OKC to watch Lydia play volleyball for Ozark Christian College. . I was very thankful when I asked Lydia if her back hurt after the match, and she said, " No." Seems like a little thing, but last year her back really hurt after every match. I don't like to seem my kids hurt. By the way , they won in five games... They are better this year.

Last night as we were driving back, Pam needed to take a break at the McDonalds on the freeway. She apoligized. There was no need to apologize. I told her that I had no where else to be but with her. She reached over and held my hand. That was a simple thing. Her hand was warm. It communicated love in a special way. I liked that. Touch is an amazing thing...simple but amazing.

This morning I got up a little late. Abigial was already up and was "bouncing" through the house, happy and perky. I like that. It is a simple thing. I look at Abigail and wonder how our life would be so different ( not for the better) if we had stopped at three kids. What a blessings she is.

This morning I went out and walked. Rain was in the air, although it was not raining at my house. Three blocks down the road? You guessed it... it was raining. I wore a windbreaker, which helped. Rain is such a simple thing... a gift from heaven. I love my green grass, my healthy flowers, my growing tree (yes its the only one in the yard.) I love the fact that God gives the gift of rain, even in August... and COOL weather...

This morning as I was walking, the rain let up a bit and there it was. Maybe you saw it on your way to work... The Rainbow. Complete and full. Multi-colored and beautiful. I turned off my IPOD for a minute and thanked God. I thanked him for his creativity. I thanked him for
His Promise that he would not destroy the earth with water. And I thanked him for Jesus.

That's what rainbows are all about... Promises...Ultimately, it is about the promise of another way... The only way.... Jesus.

It's been a nice 24 hours...full of simple things... that probably are not all that simple. There will be many other days that will be full of complications and complex issues. So I was reminded that when a "simple things" day comes along... enjoy it!

One other thing about today... TONITE! High School football. Is this not a great time of the year!

No comments: