Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Risks

I have a friend who is taking a risk... a big risk. He is putting himself out there. On the surface it looks like a great opportunity to invest in someone that probably needs it. But it is risky.

I have been reading some stuff he is writing about this... and every time I think to myself, "Could I take that kind of risk?"

I dont know...but risk taking is part of our faith. Risk taking oozes from the Bible.

If we never took a risk, would we ever exercise "faith?" ( You know the answer)

If we live life taking no risks, who do we depend on? (obvious answer)

If we choose to do only what we know we can do, is that really all that challenging? ( not so much)

My friend is taking a big risk, and each step of the way, I applaud him for it. I respect him for it. If it turns out well, I think it will be worth the risk.

But if for some reason it does not turn out well, I think He still will think it was worth the risk.

That is a good place to be.

I am thinking about some risk taking myself for the coming year. Some of those risks I am already committed to. I alternate from apprehension to excitement. As it all unfolds, I believe that I will see God's hand at work. I already have, so I have confidence that even in the risk, God will see me through it.

But there are a couple things out there that I need to commit too... It's kind of like stepping off the edge of a cliff. You may be "roped in", have spotters and all that, but you still have to take the first step. When you step over the edge, you are "all in." I want to be "all in." But they are big steps. ( The first one over the edge always is.)

My friend's risk taking is helping me get closer to the edge on a couple of those things.

There is another who took a big risk.... on me. His birthday is this week. When I think about what He did for me... it makes me think about how "all in" am I for Him. I fall short.

I will let you know how it turns out for my friend and me. Pray for him... pray for me... and think about some ways you might take a step toward a risk.

Near the edge....

Charlie

1 comment:

Steve said...

Amen. This is an eye opener for all who clam Jesus. Thanks for the post. God bless, and Merry Christmas