Monday, March 17, 2008

Some Rambling thoughts and questions..

Some questions....( if you want to answer, feel free.)

* Can the common person understand the economy? It seems that in just a few short months (maybe even weeks), the concerns of the nation have shifted from the war to the economy. That makes sense with gas and food prices skyrocketing. It also makes sense when it is all the news media talks about. I know very little about economics. But I do have concerns about national security, immigration, and morality in our nation. Those seems to take a back seat. Are we in a recession or not? Depends on how you define recession... and everyone thinks their definition works.

It does not suprise me that the economy has jumped to the top of the list. After all that has been the pattern for the last 28 years (during presidential election years.) But there are alot of other things to think about too.

* What was Eliot Spitzer thinking? One of the prices you pay for fame and power is that you have to give up your anonimity. People have to lie for you, turn their head the other way, or just ignore the stupid things you are doing. Did he not have ONE person who he was accountable too... who had the courage to confront him and tell him what a stupid thing he was doing.

If you want a great treatment on this, look up Cal Thomas' editorial piece on this ( In the Tulsa World on 3.16). It was masterful.

* Do Americans really care about Easter? We will have record crowds in church. But as the numbers grow, so do the numbers of people who make it only on Easter. We have to be careful that Easter does not just become sort of a marketing tool to get people into the church... and in so doing talk more about our church than we do about Jesus. That is why I preach every Easter. I just believe that the Word needs to be spoken.. the Word about ressurection, sacrifice, victory and change. This year we talk about New Beginnings and how that is wrapped up in the sacrifice and victory of Christ.

* Has there been a year in what is called "March Madness" when the top four seeds were bigger favorites to make it to the final four? NC,Memphis, Kansas and UCLA are the class of the field. There may be some upsets in the lower seeded games...but this is the year that I think all four #1's make it to the Final Four. My pick? Today it is Kansas.

Later

3 comments:

Lydia said...

ok so about the easter thing... I have been SHOCKED with all of the Easter talk this year. I am assuming it is because I am living in a Catholic culture right now. But really it is crazy. We get off of school on Good Friday and the Monday after Easter (which this year happens to be Spring Break). But still they make such a huge deal about observing the holiday, but thats all it is. Everyone will go to Mass and get their fix for the year and be good. I guess the more I talk with my students about their lifestyle in general they are amazed that there are still people who go to church every week and actually have faith that is relevant to their life.

And about the basketball... it is crazy. I cannot believe that almost every analyst is picking the number 1 seeds for the Final Four. It is absolutely boring, but I just might concede. Although every ounce of March Madness in my body says there must be an Elite Eight surprise, but I'm just not sold.

My Dear Gs... said...

Duh, Lyddie...Clearly Drake is the George Mason of this year. I have them going to the Elite Eight!

Charlie Curran said...

For many it is a "holiday." And I guess it is for us as well. But my friend Steve said it well to me today... " Isn't every Sunday supposed to be Easter for us?"

I like that...



Something about picking Drake for the Elite 8 does not seem right liz... especially after they got beat... Oh Well.....