Monday, March 03, 2008

A New Thing....

Ah..... the adventure continues. This past Sunday ( 3.2) we gathered together for the last time at 86th Street for Sunday Morning worship. I had been fretting about how to make this service meaningful.

I landed on a couple things that I think were very cool. One, we allowed members to share memories of how God has worked in this place over the past 28 years. There were lots of stories, some laughs and a few tears. We recalled all the people that were baptized, babies that were dedicated, High School kids that stood on the stage on graduate Sunday, missions trips, VBS programs, Camps, and so much more.

I was most pleased about the participation. We could have taken an hour easy. Young and old shared. It was just right.

I talked about Exodus 12 and how God is in the timing of everything. Exoudus 12 says that Israel was in Egypt for 430 years "to the day." I love that... God had a plan and to the very day, he executed his plan in his timing.

Think about that move.... 600,000 men, plus women and children. That is a real challenge that makes moving 1500 people just down the road look like a picnic.

I love the last words of Exodus 12 ( vs. 51) "And on that very day, the Lord brought the Israelites out of Egypt by their divisions."

God opens doors and then leads His people.

Its been a long journey for us as a church. But I can honestly say that FCC is stronger for it. Our focus is on Christ, our mission is clear , and our future is bright. I am sure there are bumpy roads ahead, but that is where you learn to depend on God, learn to focus your worship and faith on God, not man, and learn that God does not dwell in buildings, but dwells in the hearts of men. For that I am thankful.

First Service is next Sunday... What do I preach? Well I really have focused on Isaiah 43:19 where he writes "Behold, I do a new thing among you..." So this Sunday is about a new worship...from Psalm 40.

It should be fun... More about it later.

2 comments:

Kim said...

Our prayers are with you. We know God will continue to use you and FCC for furthering His kingdom and for His glory. Best wishes as you have your first service there Sunday.

My Dear Gs... said...

How exciting! Praying for you a bunch this week, along with the girls in my Bible study. I'm so glad we get to be there!