Saturday, January 20, 2007

Faithful....

This morning I had the opportunity to participate in the funeral for Paula Stout. I did not know her well. But I know lots of her family. And on occasion, I did get to talk with her . Most of the visits were brief, but encouraging.

In my remarks I said that a 250 word obituary certainly does not do someone like Paula justice. She was so much more than date of birth, date of death, and all the dates in between.

I looked out over her family as I talked and thought... "Wow, there are some really great people out there."

When it is all said and done, it is relationships that count. Our relationship with the Lord is the most important. Paula had been a Christian since 1934. That is 73 years! During that time she led her husband to the Lord. She raised 4 children , all of whom are Christians. She has 13 grandchildren, and 17 great grandchildren, all of whom have seen her faith in action.

She had a great relationship with the Church. I think that this is the thing that stand with me the most. I don't know what the count would be, but Paula Stout has seen alot of preachers come and go over the last 73 years. One thing was constant... she stayed. I am sure there were ups and downs, some good times and some bad in the church ( there always are), but she stayed faithful. I imagine that there were changes that she did not care for, personalities that rubbed her the wrong way, and some frustration , but....she stayed.

The church of Jesus Christ is built on the backs and faith of people like Paula Stout ( And Jack). They are not flashy. They don't always take leadership roles where they are out front. But the stay... and they give.... and they serve, (most often behind the scenes.)

A lot of us get alot of credit for the things that people like Paula has done. It is humbling when we stop long enough to think about it. Where would our church be with out people like Paula Stout, Don Kerr, Paul Fuller, Ben and Deloris Harper, Bill and Gloria Kirby and a multitude of others? Where we would be if those people abandoned their desire to worship God, serve His Church and love their people? Where would we be if they did not provide a great example of faithfulness to thier families, friends, neighbors and co-workers?

God knew what He was doing when he compared the church to a body. Some parts get greater honor... but no part is indispensible. For the body to work, IT MUST have people like Paula Stout.

It was a good reminder for me.... I need to appreciate those people more... Thank God for them more, and do all I can to be faithful to Him and His Church...

I don't know who reads this or who does not...but if you do, and you are having trouble "staying" with your church... remember this... You are important. You are loved. You are worth dying for. And the one who died for you, died for the church you are a part of. It is worth it to spend your life being faithful to Him and His Church.

I plan to do that... I hope you will too.

No comments: