Monday, June 12, 2006

On our way...

We are almost on our way to Florida. This was a vacation that we planned long before the stroke in April. I wasn't sure about going, but with the sabbatical, and available time off, it seemed right. My health is improving daily, and now, I really look forward to the trip!

Florida does a couple things for us. It combines my love for the ocean, with Pam's love for the beach. Having grown up in Oregon, I grew to enjoy the coast. But the Oregon coast is a bit different than the Florida coast. You go to the Oregon coast to enjoy the power of the Ocean, the beauty of the rugged coast, and the solitude. You go to the Florida coast to enjoy the white sand, make new friends, get out in the sun and play. When we go to the Florida coast, I still enjoy the power of the ocean... and pam enjoys the beach , the sun and and the sand.

It also allows us to really get away. I don;t call back to the office... I don;t really think about the church at all on this trip. This is a good thing...

We are in preparation mode. I have my "to do " list... and I am marking things off one by one. I had about 15 of those items today, and I have two of them done...so I have a ways to go.

Lydia and James came back from their honeymoon. They took their marriage license with them... which is a little problem since it is supposed to be filed within 5 days of the wedding. I had Helen mail it in today...sure hope the county clerk still accepts it. If not, then I guess we will do it again.

I am really indebted to a friend who has helped me with my computer. My laptop screen died, and after consulting several people I decided to buy a new one. This friend of mine, whose name is Ben, has helped me set up my wireless system at home, set up the new computer, and helped transfer the info from one unit to the other. He does it with such a joyful spirit. It is an example of what Max Lucado talks about in the book, " The Cure for the Common life" . He writes about the fact that God has made each of us with a "sweet spot." That is the place where you use your gifts and strengths, for God's glory and it brings you great joy. That is Ben. I always tell him thank you , and he always replies " It gives me a chance to serve." He also likes his preachers, and likes to spend time with him. The thing is that I like spending time with him. He is a thinker, and he challenges me in my thinking about life. God blessed me with him.

My "sweet spot" is preaching... that is why I miss it so much... however, I am becoming more and more aware of how being away from the pulpit is helping me live more in the "sweet spot."
It feels good. When I come back in September, I will be a better preacher.

One other thing... I was talking with my friend Dale at lunch today...Dale is an elder of the church , but more than that, he is a great friend. He is an encourager...positive thinker, and really smart. I think that Dale knows more about the Christian Church and its history and doctrine, than I will ever know... But I was talking with Dale, and I realized that this is a guy I can count on. I have always known that... but I left the lunch thinking what a great thing it is to have someone you can really count on...in good and bad times. It is a gift from God! It was a good reminder, one I needed...

No comments: