Wednesday, November 26, 2008

My Opinion on Playoffs

I live in Oklahoma.

I have a son that graduated from Oklahoma State

My closest friend graduated from Oklahoma

The church I serve is full of Oklahoma and Oklahoma State fans.... many of them serious...far too serious.

With all that said.... here are some observations about College football. ( I know you did not ask for them, but it is my blog and I can decide what I want to write about.)

#1- A playoff is the only thing that makes sense. And in the days leading up the election, it was about the only thing either
one of that candidates said that made sense- WE NEED A PLAYOFF. If the President of the United States wants to get
started on the right foot, he should use his executive order power on something that counts.... Ordering the College
Presidents to get the dollar signs out of their eyeballs and create a PLAYOFF.

#2- This year, the Oregon/Oregon State game means something. Both are 8-3. OSU ( Not cowboys), is playing for a chance to
go to the Rose Bowl. That is due to the fact that they smashed USC early in the year.

#3- This year the OU/OSU game means something. OU wins and they go to Big 12 championship ( if tiebreakers break right).
If OSU wins, they get to say all year long, "na, na, na, na! We won! We Won!" Prediction? One of the two teams will win.

#4- It is tough to see teams like Michigan, Notre Dame, Auburn, Tennesee, Texas A&M, go through tough seasons ( Not
really- remember coaches, Adversity makes us better. You may not get to keep your jobs for long, but you will be better
for it)

#5- There are several "one loss teams" screaming for a playoff. ( OU, Florida, Texas, Texas Tech, USC). To them I say,
"WAAAAAAAAAHHHHH." What about Boise State, Utah, Ball State and Alabama? They are undefeated at this point of the
season. Maybe the playoff should be the 4 undefeated teams meeting in a warm weather site...Now there is a playoff.

AND BEST OF ALL... It is feast week on ESPN... which means there is basketball galore! Now there is a real sport.

4 comments:

Steve said...

Oh Charlie ... don't forget Penn State as a 1-loss team, and other 2-loss teams that may be peaking at the end of the season that deserve a shot too! (Ohio State?!?!) I think some blame needs to go to the TV networks too that shell out the big bucks to the NCAA for the rights to air the games. ESPN recently signed a deal for 2010 to 2014 to extend the BCS until at least that far. I love my Buckeyes, but I'll never, ever travel to a bowl game to see them play, let alone eat a Tostitos chip!

Charlie Curran said...

Sorry steve... for some reason a a"big ten" team doesn't even enter into the discussion in my mind. The league is weak. Penn State could not win when it counted ( losing to Iowa). Ohio State starts a freshman whose stat line looks like this every week.... 5-12, 106 yards, 1 int, and 2 rushing touchdowns. Not exactly Bradfordesque if you ask me.

Both the networks and presidents are to blame.

Hope you and your family had a good thanksgiving.

Steve said...

Hey, great family and rapping pics! I guess we'll never know how good the Big Ten one-loss teams can be until there is a playoff.

Keith said...

"One of the two teams will win..." I'll contact my people in Vegas. This sounds like a sure thing!!!