Monday, November 10, 2008

Economy hits

One week ago, we got the news that Joel had gone into work and was laid off, along with 25% of the company. It was a shock for him. He had just moved up to Portland 6 weeks ago. Almost immediately he started networking and has two meetings scheduled with people who make be able to hook him up with potential careers.

His spirits are high. He is a very confident person, He loves Portland and has every intention of staying there.

I on the other hand, did not have high spirits after that call. I told him it would be okay... God would take care of Him. I loved him. All of those things I believed and still do. But after I hung up the phone, I had a tear or two. And I struggled to understand the decision of the higher-ups... and the plan God has for him. This economy is tough. And it has hit us. ''

I found myself thinking, "I wish it had been me." I would rather have to go through it, than him. I have never been without a job since 1981. But I would have taken it rather than him.

I guess that is what a parent does.

I am proud of all my kids. they have high character, good work ethic and a love for family and God. But they are not immune to hard times... layoffs, and other things. That is why parenting never stops. For those of you think , "Man, they are out of the house, and out of my hair." Surprise, they really dont go away... and you dont want them to. the last thing I said to Joel tonight was, "Let me know if you need anything." It is really code for, "if you need to come home, there is a place here for you."

My gut is that he will land on his feet...

I am glad I get to his Father... a father for all of them.

What we do as parents is just a touch of what God does as our Heavenly Father. I am amazed at what He does for us..

1 comment:

Kim said...

Amen!!