Tuesday, August 08, 2006

A new adventure

One of the things that people close to me have been saying for years is " You need to find something else besides the church to do." They are right. I dabble at golf. I am not very good, which is a predictable result for someone who really doesn't play that much. I have started going out to the Driving range more. This is supposed to make a difference... a difference that I have yet to see. But the promise is before me, so this fall I plan to play and practice more.

I have been recruited to a new adventure. Fantasy Football. I like football alot. Especially college football. I like OU, and OSU ( Joel is an equipment manager for the team) Oregon ( I will root for the Ducks to beat the Sooners this September) and Nebraska. ( I am married to a Husker through and through)

Fantasy football is a pro team sport. I know very little about how to do this. So this afternoon, my Fantasy Football guru met me for lunch and we went through the basics. It is said that the first year is a learning year, which I think is probably true. But it will not be a wasted year. I am going to study and think alot about this in my spare time. I can be competitive, and I hope that to some degree this will bring it out.

However there is a better reason than winning to play Fantasy Football. It is the fun and fellowship that comes with getting together with a group of guys and playing a game. It is the fact that I don't know these guys very well and I want to. They seem like great guys from a distance, and I think they will be up close too. And I think they will do something that I really like in my life. They will let me be me.

I have some other guys that do that... Golfing buddies, our small group, friends that I eat lunch with periodically in Downtown Tulsa and some other friends that treat me like a regular guy. I love those guys, and I am glad to have a new group that I can be that way with.

By the way.... One thing that I love about Pam, Elizabeth, Joel, Lydia, Abigial, James and Nathaniel is that they see me as a regular guy... and not some guys who stands up and preaches to a church every week. They are proud of what I do, but they have never let that define for them who I am. What a blessing.

It is going to be fun. And contrary to the prevailing opinion, maybe a rookie might sneak up on someone and surprise them... I will let you know.

No comments: