Sunday, August 06, 2006

Back home again....

This past Friday I made a decision.... its time to go back to church. I have been in church almost every weekend since I got sick, but I just felt that it was time to get back to First Christian Church. I consulted Pam, who agreed... "It would be much easier to ease back in , that to just appear in Mid September." Made sense to me. I felt ready to tackle the world of hundreds of people that I knew...

I have to admit that I was a bit apprehensive. I don;t know exactly why, but I was. We arrived and went to Sunday School class. How good it was to sit and learn. Dale Wallace is a great teacher. He is not the only for sure. It seems to me that our church has an unusual number of good bible teachers. That is one of the strengths of our church. It felt so good to sit next to Pam in class. I have missed her alot in this way.

Then to worship services. WOW! The service was led by our youth and it was awesome. It is always so good to see their heart. Matt Thomason did a great job preaching, and Tim Tibbles led worship. I found that to be really good, partly because I know his style, and I knew most of the songs.

As I left, it was so great to be greeted by so many. The love and well wishes were a bit overwhelming. "When are you coming back?" was a familiar question. "We miss you..." I needed to hear those things.

After lunch and in a quiet moment, I reflected on somethings...

For one, I was tired. I am not all the way back stamina wise, and mornings like this show that to me. It will take a while. I don't totally understand why crowds wear me out... but they do. In time that will come back. But I have to take care of myself and watch that carefully.


Second, It would have been easy for the church as a whole, and the staff in particular to say, " When Charlie gets back, we will gear back up." It could have been a coasting time... waiting time etc. But it is very evident that it has not been that at First Christian Church. I looked around and saw dozens of people I did not know. And each time, I thanked God that the church had continued the effort to INVEST, INVITE and INCLUDE. I looked around and saw so many smiles, and joyful expressions of love. And I thanked God that this church is healthy and strong, with or without me. I saw a strong appreciation for God and for the youth of our church. I saw a father watch his son be baptized, and I saw the look of pride on his face, as he saw him buried with Christ.

I sensed that our church has gained ground during this time. It has been a very strong summer and we are poised for some amazing things this fall.

WOW! That is all I can say. I can't wait to get back in the full swing of things. I will be gone the next 2-3 Sundays, but after that, I will be around...

It was really good to back home again.

2 comments:

Keith said...

Charlie:
Glad to hear you're "back home."

Keith said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.