Tuesday, July 11, 2006

The Preacher goes fishing.

This will come as a big surprise to some of you who listened to me preach last March. The series was about Fishing for men, and I talked alot about how little I know about fishing. I also said that fishing was not my most favorite thing.

Well, today I went fishing with my dad. We loaded up a small boat, and went about 30 miles up the McKenzie River ( outside of Springfield Oregon). We lauched the boat. I did have a license, and the Game Warden was there and checked. We went to a favorite fishing hole that Dad has fished for years. The McKenzie river has a series of small dams on it, but this part of the river is very calm, just above the Leaburg Dam. We found the hole, and in the course of about 2 hours, we limited out ( For novices like me that means, "We caught all that the law will allow". ) It was great fun. The weather was awesome. Cloudy, 70 degrees, no wind. There was no one on that part of the River, so we were pretty much alone. We did have a home owner nearby who kept telling us that there were only a few fish there, and His grandkids were coming from Arizona and He promised them so fish to catch. But Dad didn't budge... he's been fishing there for years. When we caught our 10th fish we were on our way.

Fishing was fun.... most of all because it was some really good time with my Dad. Catching and reeling them in is fun too... but it is more than just that. Being out and away, spending time with Dad is a pretty good deal.

It has been a great visit with my parents. I am thankful to so many in our church who have prayed for them and me.

When I get back to the pulpit, I will produce a picture as proof that even this preacher can fish a little bit. It will be right after the para-sailing picture. Both of those will come as a shock to those that know me well.

In the meantime, may we all be about "fishing for men."

Charlie

No comments: