Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Take heart....

"IN THIS WORLD, YOU WILL HAVE TROUBLE." John 16:33

Those seven words are so true.

They tell the truth about life. You know it and I know it. The reality of living life is that there are moments where trouble is present. Trouble comes in all shapes and sizes. It does not discriminate on the basis of age, race, gender or economic status. Trouble is real. It can be a nusiance or it can be devestating. It can be short-lived, or it can be life-long. Just read the newspaper. There is so much trouble. Read our prayer list. People we know and love have alot to deal with. They are good people. They love God. But there is still trouble. Think about your life. Often we learn best through trouble. Often we trust God more when we have troubles.

"BUT TAKE HEART! I HAVE OVERCOME THE WORLD."

Those eight words are awesome!

Aren't you glad that John 16:33 does end with the first sentence? I am. Yes, trouble lurks in life. You and I, we can't get away from it. We can not manipulate life so that we have no trouble.. We can not totally avoid trouble. We can not lead a "trouble free "life." No one does.

These words remind us that there is someone who can deal with our troubles. Jesus can. In John 14, Jesus said, "Do not let your hearts be troubled, trust in God, trust also in me." ( 14:1)
One of my co-workers often talks about how belief is really connected to trust. Do I really trust God and Jesus in times of trouble? I admire the way, and many others do "trust" God. It is more than just intellectual ascent... it is a rock solid trust in God, believing that what Jesus said in John 16:33 is true. That is what it means to "believe" in Him. There are times when trouble descends upon them ( and me), and our trust in Him deepens. That is how it works.

So, I am thinking.... I have troubles... but they are nothing compared to alot of other people's troubles. I will have troubles in the future... but there are alot of others who have deeper troubles than I do.

Either way, Jesus did not distinguish between those who had "big" troubles, and those who have "little" troubles. He just said, " But take heart! I have overcome the world." That is a message for all of us.

2 comments:

Abigail said...

Dad, that is my very favorite verse. It's always so comforting...I am glad you have found comfort in it as well. Can't wait to see you this weekend! Love you, Abigail

My Dear Gs... said...

I was actually getting very stressed by all of the news I watch on tv two weeks ago, so this was my memory verse for that week. I needed to be reminded that He has overcome the world, and all its problems! Great post, Dad.